Saturday, January 23, 2010

Creature Retread: Devil Assassin


So I did this piece for one of Art Order's Challenges. The first draft went awry on Hardboard (thanks for the tips Aaron & Mark), so I did this version on Illustration Board. I don't really plan on doing card art or Role-Playing work, but I have really wanted to push myself to try more variety. I tend not to think in the dramatic frame of mind necessary for most character-based illustration, and this was no exception. The figure is stiff and the angles not very dynamic. I struggled with the fixed rules of what the character had to display and I felt this hampered the normal flow of my work.

That said, I still found this process rewarding. As an unpaid illustrator of...my head I have to play all of the instruments in the orchestra and conduct at the same time. I don't always have fixed goals or requirements for my art and that can be taxing. Having to adhere to someone's strict guidelines does leave out quite a bit of guesswork providing a check list of sorts to determine "success". I get tired of asking : Do you like it? Instead, I look forward to asking?: Did you receive it? My developing style will speak for itself and help me stay focused on the task at hand.

Today's Lesson: Push Yourself. Expand beyond what you know you are capable of, and you will always have a comfortable place to retreat to. Well, mostly anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment